Saturday, September 28, 2013

Nudity

I'm on the fence when it comes to whether or not nudity should be censored.

As a generally modest person, you'll probably never see me tanning on a nude beach. Similarly, I won't be wearing revealing/sexy clothes to party. I just personally like the idea that no one but my husband knows what I look like naked. It's pretty cool. That being said, I would consider appearing nude for art/theatre.

For others, though. Should I care?

Let's talk about breastfeeding, and breasts in general.

Should I tell a woman to cover up if she's breastfeeding? Sure, breastfeeding is a natural and good thing, but so it peeing. Closing the door is non-negotiable. Peeing is different, though, because it is actually gross, not just revealing of private parts.

Recently, I read an article that women may now go topless without retribution in New York (city or state, I can't remember), and at first I felt feminist pride when I read it. Men have been able to reveal nipples whenever they want since... forever. Why are female nipples different? Because they are attached to lumps of flesh?

Yes. After more reflection on the article, those lumps of flesh change everything for most people. I think that breasts are fine to look at. Hell, I like looking at them! Aesthetically speaking, breasts are great, but should they be revered and kept secret?

I'm inclined to say yes, they should (other than for artistic purposes or breast-feeding,). If the purpose is to illicit sexual arousal, then that probably shouldn't be public. Likewise, people should close the door when they have sex.

I really believe that sex is another one of those things that should be private, unless it's for a purpose- education, story-telling, art, or pure aesthetics. It's a crying shame that sex isn't as big of a deal as it used to be because once you get to sex in a relationship, that's as far as you can go physically- other than eventually trying the really crazy stuff. If it starts there, then where's the build-up? Where's the emotional intimacy that makes sex SOOOOO good?!?! It should be big deal! So, nudity for sexual purposes should be, too. Otherwise, it's a waste. Keep it covered and keep some mystery. That's way sexier.


No comments:

Post a Comment